Wednesday, April 18, 2012

awakening

My name is Jasmin Alexia, and I have experienced one day without Facebook & Twitter.

Social networking regulars everywhere would scoff at this sentence saying "Pssh, it's easy to give up silly nonsense like Facebook." - WRONG. Well, at least for me that statement is wrong and I am in DESPERATE need of a good reality check. Which subsequently, came today.

I attended a lecture at my school today (Savannah College of Art and Design) given by In Style's fashion director Hal Rubenstein, where he spoke about his new book 100 Unforgettable Dresses.

At one point during his lecture, he brought up an extremely important and eye opening point. Today's generation relies so much on the internet and being in the now that we avoid the concept of sitting down to read a book or browse in the library or at a book store. When you research something on the internet, you do it with intention, and only click on the things you want (Ie. nytimes.com --> Style --> MBFW2012). NOBODY STOPS TO SMELL THE DASIES ANYMORE!!

And that's when it hit me- the original intention to quit Facebook and Twitter was not just a spurr of the moment action anymore. It was now a way to let my mind wander around rather than wondering what John Smith told Bob Simpleman about Barbie's husband! It is all REDUNDANT!

This lecture opened my eyes to the possibilities in this world. Everything we can achieve without a social networking platform fueling our interests.

This is the new beginning.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment